In 1620, Merchant Taylor John Harrison left a sum of money to found a school in Crosby. His aim was to provide an all-round education for local children, regardless of their ability to pay. Without the generosity and foresight of our founder, thousands of young people would not have benefited from the excellence of a Merchant Taylors’ education.
Today this philanthropic ethos continues and, as a Charitable Trust, Merchant Taylors’ Schools have a strong commitment to enabling pupils from a wide variety of backgrounds to attend the Schools. Government funding for assisted places ceased in 2002 and we rely solely on the Bursary Fund to support financial assistance where it is needed most. Without the loyal support we receive from our donors, Merchant Taylors’ would not be the thriving and outstanding academic establishment it is today.