Charitable & Community Work
Merchants in the Community – Junior Boys’ School
At the Junior Boys’ School, we strive to maintain links with other schools and groups in the surrounding area as well as supporting charities both locally and abroad. The diversity of people’s backgrounds and circumstances is appreciated and valued and we aim to develop strong and positive relationships in our school and in the wider community. There are a number of ways in which we establish these links:
- Weekly Chess Club with Waterloo Primary School
- Charity Duathlon with Merchant Taylors’ Primary School for the Good Life Orphanage, Africa
- Local Primary Schools’ Football Tournament
- Local Primary Schools’ Tag Rugby Tournament
- Visits to Residential Care Home Halcyon House
Our Junior School is proud of the charitable work undertaken by the boys during the course of a school year. We have raised thousands of pounds for charities including
- Comic Relief
- Forum Housing
- GoodLife Orphanage
- Foootball Kits to Africa and Beyond
- North West Air Ambulance
- Operation Christmas Child
- Macmillan Cancer Care
- St Faith’s Church (Christmas Trees)
- Derian House
- Save the Children
Thomas Cunliffe has written a short piece about the work that our Charity and Community Team do.
The Charity and Community Team are representatives from Year 6 who help charities as much as possible. The boys deliver assemblies to raise awareness of the work of local and international charities.
Every year, the team helps to organise our annual Harvest Festival, encouraging pupils to make donations and collecting generous gifts from the whole school to display in the Junior School Hall.
In the past, the team has worked with Forum Housing, Macmillan Cancer Care, Operation Christmas Child and The Good Life Orphanage in Africa.
They strive to make a difference to the lives of others.