Fees & Affordability
Academic year 2018-2019
- Senior School tuition fees are £3,798 per term/£11,394 per year.
- Junior Girls’ and Junior Boys’ Schools fees are £2,839 per term/£8,517 per year.
- Infant School fees are £2,755 per term/£8,265 per year.
Unless paid by Direct Debit, or you have an alternative payment plan in place, School fees are payable on or before the first day of each term. We offer two options for paying by Direct Debit, either one payment per term or three monthly payments per term.
Full details are available from the Finance Office, Fees & Credit Controller, Mrs Deana Smith on 0151 949 9329.
Lunch Fees 2018-19
- Senior Schools lunch fees are £202 per term/£606 per year.
- Junior Boys’ lunch free are £202 per term/£606 per year.
- Infants and Junior Girls (Primary School) lunch fees are £177 per term for a 5 day week/£531 per year.
- Senior Schools and Junior Boys’ lunch fees are £202 per term for a 5 day week/£588 per year.
- Sixth Form students are permitted to leave the School premises during the course of the day providing they meet their commitments with respect to attendance, punctuality and set work, and also sign in and out at reception. As a result, a large number of Sixth Form students prefer to make their own arrangements for lunch rather than using the School dining room. For pupils entering Sixth Form in September who wish to make their own lunch arrangements, this will be agreed with the respective Head of Sixth Form once the timetables have been agreed.
- A charge for half a term’s dinner fees will be available to those pupils in Year 11 and Upper Sixth forms, sitting external examinations in the Summer term.
Accepting a Place
When a place is accepted, a deposit of £300 is payable.
The acceptance deposit will be held on account by the School and returned by way of a credit against fees for the final term of the relevant year, provided that fees have been cleared in full and any outstanding School property has been returned to the School. Until credited the acceptance deposit will form part of the general funds of the School.
Out of Hours Care
Out of hours care is available to all Infants, Junior Boys and Junior Girls.
• Aftercare is £8 per session
• Breakfast Club is £5 per session
• Unless otherwise requested, fees are billed termly (in arrears) and will be included on your School fee invoice
11+ and Sixth Form Bursary and Scholarship applications for 2019 admission are now closed.
Merchant Taylors’ Schools are able to provide financial assistance with fees for pupils whose parents/guardians could not otherwise afford a place at the Senior Schools. The provision of means-tested bursaries is a central part of the purpose of the Schools’ aim to assist academically able boys and girls, whatever their financial circumstances and to broaden access to our Schools.
We do not receive any Government funding for our bursary programme; instead it is funded through the generosity of donors and though the Schools’ investments. Our donors come from many walks of life and from all over the world, yet they all have a Merchant Taylors’ connection in common.
The number of bursary places available each year depends entirely on the generosity of our donors, and any amount given, large or small, contributes to creating opportunities for our pupils. For more information on how to support bursaries at Merchant Taylors’, please click here.
Bursaries are awarded up to 100% of fees, depending on the family’s financial circumstances. There are bursaries available for entry into our Senior Schools at Year 7 and into the Sixth Form at Year 12.
All bursaries are means-tested and are underpinned by a rigorous review process. The Schools utilise an external company to conduct independent financial reviews of successful applications. This will involve each family having a compulsory home visit to review financial circumstances and will result in a confidential report to the Schools with a recommendation on the level of award. The home visits/reviews will take place in early February 2019, following the 11+ Entrance Examination on the 28th January 2018 and the subsequent interview process.
A bursary application will only be successful if both of these criteria are met:
- The child has strong academic ability/potential, as demonstrated by their performance in the 11+ Entrance Examination/interview process for entry into our Senior Schools or for Sixth Form entry (Year 12) based on their GSCE grades and interview process. Provisional/Conditional Sixth Form offers will be made in February 2019 with firm offers to follow when GCSE results are confirmed in August 2019 which meet the Sixth Form entry criteria.
- The Schools are satisfied that the family meets the Schools’ criteria for financial assistance (which are detailed below).
Given the value of bursary awards, all awards are subject to annual review to ensure continued eligibility. However, the Schools do have a number of awards which are offered for the duration of the child’s education whether that be at Year 7 or Year 12 entry. This will be explicit within the offer made.
How and when do we apply for bursaries?
- Register your son/daughter for a place at Merchant Taylors’ Schools.
- The deadline for applications is 30th November 2018.
- Apply for a Bursary by completion of a School Registration Form.
- Complete the confidential means-testing Bursary application form we send you. To be considered for assistance, gross income from all sources must be £60,000 or less per year
- Following the 11+ Entrance Exam and interview process, or Sixth Form interview, you will be notified if your application for financial assistance has been successful. The next stage of the process is a home visit and independent financial review which will then result in a recommendation to the School on whether you meet the financial criteria for award and the level of Bursary which should be offered.
- The final stage of the process involves the review of each recommendation/report by a sub- Committee of the School’s Board called the ‘Fees and Agreements Group’.
What information will I be asked to provide?
The Bursary Application Form asks for information about the following:
- Income (Salary, Pension, Benefits etc.)
- Outgoings (Tax, NI, Pension contributions, Mortgage repayments etc.)
- Capital Assets (Savings, ISAs etc.)
- Capital Liabilities (Mortgage etc.)
- Net Assets
You will also be asked to provide:
- 3 months’ payslips
- Mortgage statement
- Most recent P60
- Latest audited accounts (if appropriate)
Senior Girls’ Sixth Form Vitaflo Science Bursary
Scholarships – Academic and Non-academic
The Schools award some scholarships based on merit, irrespective of means. Scholarships signify excellent performance and outstanding potential. These vary in value and type across the Schools. They are available at year 7 at entry into the Senior Schools and at entry into Sixth Form.
Scholarships are awarded up to the equivalent of a 10% discount on tuition fees. They are awarded for the duration of the pupil’s time at school, subject to good conduct and good progress. There is no means testing of Scholarship awards.
The deadline for applications is 30th November 2018.
- Scholarships of between 10% of the annual tuition fee may be awarded to pupils who achieve top marks in the English, Mathematics and Reasoning examinations. All candidates are considered and no application is necessary.
- A Music Scholarship is available on application and following an audition and interview. We may offer one of two awards for school funded peripatetic music lessons. The deadline for applications is 30th November 2018.
- A Sports Scholarship is available on application and following a successful assessment, candidates may be offered one of the following two awards offering 5-10% of the annual tuition fee.The deadline for applications is 30th November 2018.
For more information please contact the Admissions Team on 0151 949 9366.
Financial Assistance Policy
Pupil Personal Accident Insurance Scheme
MTS Terms and Conditions
Admissions - Call: 0151 949 9366