Ian Robinson Sports Centre
27 May 2020
I hope you and your families are keeping safe and well in these difficult times.
Firstly, I would like to take this opportunity to thank each of you for your continued support of the Ian Robinson Sports Centre at Merchant Taylors’ during the Covid-19 crisis. We are looking forward to inviting you back into the facilities as soon as it is safe to do so.
You will no doubt have been following the government’s regular updates on when various elements of the national lockdown may be lifted.
At Merchant Taylors’, we have been supporting the children of key workers at school throughout this crisis and, as things currently stand, we also expect children in selected year groups to return to parts of the school site from Monday 8 June as part of a phased programme of reopening.
For the Sports Centre, we are making plans to reopen in the context of government guidance around gyms, leisure clubs and other similar premises. This means we are anticipating being able to reopen our doors sometime in July, in line with the latest national forecasts.
In the meantime, we are undertaking a range of positive measures to ensure that the Sports Centre is a safe environment for all members, customers, children and visitors. It is really important to us that you have confidence in your surroundings, not only on your first day back, but also for the weeks and months that follow. These measures include:
- Daily deep cleaning and disinfection of equipment and facilities
- Restricting access to some equipment to help social distancing
- Increased levels of hand washing and sanitiser options for Sports Centre users
- The introduction of protective screens where appropriate
- Increased directional signage to manage the safe flow of people
- Smaller, shorter classes with longer breaks to reduce pressure on changing rooms
- Increased outdoor fitness provision on our site
- Encouraging advance bookings to minimise peak user times
- Special arrangements for older and more vulnerable groups
We will, of course, continue to monitor government guidance and keep you updated regarding our safety plans, including a more definitive date for reopening, as soon as we can.
I would also like to remind you that all membership subscriptions are currently frozen, therefore no fees will be collected until we re-open.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me directly via email.
Ian Robinson Sports Centre Manager
The Ian Robinson Sports Centre is used by all Merchant Taylors’ pupils and is open to members of the public during evenings, weekends and school holidays.
The centre provides an opportunity to hire the facilities, join the Peter Little Fitness Suite, attend a Fitness Class or visit a children’s holiday club.