At Merchant Taylors’ we strive to provide a caring and supportive environment for each of our pupils. We aim to develop self-esteem, confidence and resilience as well as addressing the needs of the whole child. We recognise pupils of all abilities may experience obstacles to learning and we treat each child as an individual, providing them with personalised learning and the support they require to flourish and achieve their maximum potential.
- To address the needs of the whole child.
- To develop self-esteem through the use of successful learning strategies.
- To provide a pupil-centered approach to the support we provide.
- To develop ‘on task’ behaviour via improved academic understanding
- To help to provide a smooth transition through school.
- Girls may have been diagnosed in their previous School as having Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Visual or Hearing impairment, ADHD, Speech and Language difficulty or as being on the Autistic Spectrum. Their learning is then supported either through in-class support strategies or withdrawal from a lesson for one-to-one tutorials.
- The rationale of early intervention will lead to greater liaison between the Schools and parents, smooth transition and enhanced staff awareness.
- The department liaises closely with Merchant Taylors’ Primary School Stanfield, and other Primary Schools to ensure continuity of support and provision for those girls who encounter learning difficulties – whether on a temporary or longer term basis.
- In addition, the Learning Support Department assess a pupil’s literacy skills at key stages of school life and this is monitored and reviewed throughout their school years.
- Working closely with our Examination Officer, we ensure that any examination concession recommendations for GCSE and A Level study are accommodated alongside the criteria/guidelines from the examination boards.
LOWER SCHOOL (YEAR 7-9)
Assessment through the LUCID program provides a unique and individual learning profile for each of our girls. It ensures we identify strengths to be celebrated and utilised in the girls’ learning, and assist in the early identification of any areas of need allowing us to provide early personalised support to ensure each girl achieves and flourishes at Merchants Taylors’.
MIDDLE SCHOOL (YEAR 10-11)
Mentoring and monitoring are vital components as our girls approach or start their GCSE studies. We provide guidance with revision and study skills, as well as developing specific areas of need for the individual pupil. Support is provided within the pupil’s timetable with support lessons from a Specialist Learning Support Teacher.
Our pupils are provided with support in the transition to A-Level studies, developing study skills and helping with organisation. We also work closely with the Head of Sixth Form and careers to ensure our girls are aware of the support available for them as they progress onto their next step in life, ensuring they are familiar with assistive technologies and the Disabled Student Allowance process for University.
Please feel free to contact the school if you have any queries or require further information about Learning Support.
SENDCO: Miss K Howard