MTS Cricketers Selected to Play at Lords
Two of Merchant Taylors’ outstanding cricketers were recently selected to play in a representative match at Lord’s, the home of cricket. George Lavelle who also achieved 9A*s and an A in his GCSEs this summer, had the honour of captaining the England Schools U16 team. Tom Hartley played for MCC Schools, a team selected from the most successful boys who played for their schools against MCC in 2016. This annual fixture always includes a number of boys who go on to play professional cricket – over 60 of them in the last 10 years.
The match was won by England Schools by 50 runs. For MCC Tom Hartley had the best figures, taking 2 wickets for 40 from his 10 overs. Ironically, one of those wickets was George Lavelle! Tom also scored a bright 16 in the MCC innings. George scored 14 for his team, kept wicket very tidily, and as captain led his troops with calm assuredness. It was a fantastic experience for the boys to play at Lord’s and good for the school to have two boys in the match.
After the game both teams, their parents, and officials from ESCA and MCC attended a splendid dinner in the famous Long Room where everyone who spoke paid tribute to the quality of the cricket played by both teams. Hopefully this will not have been the last time George and Tom get to play at Lord’s, but they will always remember the day they walked in the footsteps of Grace, Bradman, Sobers and Botham.
- Ethics Bowl
- Bella secures slalom second place
- 1st XV Battle to Lancashire Cup Final
- Merchant Taylors’ to Bid Farewell to Mrs Ward After Three Years
- Year 2 ignite their understanding of the Great Fire of London
- *Timings tbc. Rowing North West Inter-Regional Junior Trials (Invite Only) on March 3, 2024 12:00 pm
- Stanfield Assessment Week 2 on March 4, 2024 12:00 am
- MTS Sixth Form Interviews on March 4, 2024 9:00 am
- *Timings tbc. Rugby Sevens U14 VII vs Wirral Grammar School for Boys on March 5, 2024 12:00 pm
- Vocal Recital Evening 2024 on March 5, 2024 6:00 pm
|This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics".
|The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional".
|This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary".
|This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other.
|This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance".