24 Doors of Merchants’ – Day 1
Day one’s door is the west door of the 1620 building at the Girls’ School!
In 1620 when the building was built, this was the west porch facing the sand hills and the sea. Until the 1700’s it was the front door of the school ushering in the new pupils and launching the older pupils out into the world.
In the mid part of the last century, up until the late 1980’s the only time this door was opened was on A Level results day. The girls would collect their results envelope from the then 6th form common room (now the lower library) and go out onto the quad clutching their results to meet anxious parents and have a strawberry tea!