The Merchant Taylors’ School was founded in 1620 by John Harrison, citizen and Merchant Taylor of London. The Guild of Merchant Taylors’ in London is one of the twelve great City Livery Companies that have survived from medieval times.
The Merchant Taylors’ Company was originally an association of citizens controlling the craft of tailoring; over the years members’ interest spreading into commerce and philanthropy.
We are proud of our historical links to the Company, and continue to welcome visitors from the Company every year. We are a famous family of schools with an enviable reputation and are determined to remain true to the guiding principles of our founder: to provide an academic education to pupils from the surrounding area.
1620 – John Harrison (Merchant Taylor) founded Merchant Taylors’ School, Crosby on the current Senior Girls’ School site.
1878 – Boys’ school moves to present day site.
1880 – First Sports Day held.
1888 – Girls’ School founded on 1620 site.
1890 – Old Boys’ Association
1892 – The first boarding house for boys opened in Rossett Road by J H Milton
1915 – Cadet Corps formally constituted
1956 – Memorial Gymnasium opened Stanfield established
1988 – Girls’ School celebrates 100 years since foundation.
2009 – Completion of the Vitreum Entrance and art gallery at the Senior Girls’ School.
2011 – Ian Robinson Sports Centre opened
2014 – Completion of the multi-million pound redevelopment of Stanfield, Merchant Taylors’.
2015 – Royal Celebration of 100 years of School’ Combined Cadet Force
2016/17 – Schools receive ‘Excellent’ ISI reports.
2020 – Merchant Taylors’ School 400th anniversary